About Me

My photo
I'm an assistant professor of neuroscience at Washington State University in Vancouver, where I use tiny zebrafish (the size of an eyelash!) as a model system to study human hearing loss and how we can prevent it. I'm also a long-time Toastmaster and I teach communication workshops. This blog represents the merging of my two passions - science and communication, which has really become one central passion - the science of communication. There's a revolution in science right now...the idea that we scientists should sometimes leave the lab and talk about what we do, and why we do it, to real people. This blog looks at why we should do this, and how to actually talk about science with non-scientists (and with each other!). Portions of this blog are also featured on Qualia, the AAAS MemberCenter blog site.

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

I'm not the only one thinking about science communication

Happy Holidays everyone!  Given the busy time of year, my brain is currently occupied with other things (anyone else still need to finish their holiday shopping?), so rather than creating original content today I thought I'd share a useful resource for science communication.

AAAS (American Association for the Advancement of Science) has a strong focus in science communication and outreach.  At their Center for Public Engagement with Science and Technology you'll find useful information about public outreach initiatives and advice similar to what I write here...tips for how to communicate science to real people.  I particularly like their Communication Basics pages.  Check it out if you have a few moments, and maybe you can spark some interest in science with your friends and family this holiday season as you sit around the dinner table.  Communication can happen every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment